Tuesday, February 4, 2014

A Cracker-jacking Beginning: An Unfortunate Beginning by Natasha Brown

This story would be wonderful for any child aged between 8 and 13. The plot is exciting and the pace is fast enough to keep you interested without allowing the reader to lose track of what and who is going on. There were lots of features that I enjoyed.

To start with, I have got to say that I absolutely love Brown’s humour, which is unique in its approach and yet still has the laugh-out-loud effect of Rick Riordan’s ‘Percy Jackson’. The gags are little gems within the book and it is impossible not to smile when they do come up.

As I've already said, the plot is warm, exciting and different. Driving you through without any contemplation of stopping. The story-line is clever and incorporates a realm of different aspects but does not overwhelm. The ending is really very good and will keep you guessing until the end, although the wool will still be pulled over your eyes! (probably)

The character of Nimrod (great name. really great name.) is likeable and engaging and it is very difficult not to feel some kind of sympathy for him. Pepper is in the same way likeable and adds depth to the story, although I did find myself forgetting her back-story quickly but that may have just been me. Despite the some of the other characters appearing to be slightly on the flat side at times, I ended up taking a particular shine to Red, who remains my favourite character because of his courage and loyalty.

Brown’s style is intriguing and pleasant and I would not hesitate in recommending this to the younger reader. I hope we will see more of Nimrod’s adventures in the future!

ONE SENTENCE: Engaging and exciting, perfect for children aged 8 and upwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment