Thursday, March 27, 2014

Can't Be Mistaken: The Mistaken by Nancy S. Thompson


The Mistaken could be seen as a story about violence but I see it as a story of love, forgiveness and retribution. There is much more to it than meets the eye.

It’s a story that you can't help but feel emotionally connected to. You feel every one of Tyler's emotions and feel to the depths of your heart his grief, love and times of depression. You also feel every blow that is dealt to him and this is without doubt the first novel that has ever 'moulded' me in this particular way to feel a character's pain. It's something that I can't put my finger on but it has a huge effect. Another thing that I can't quite put my finger on is Thompson's distinctive style of writing that although appearing conventional has elements to it that make it very powerful and drive the plot forward in a way that I will probably never understand.

The pace of the novel is exciting but not rushed and although it takes a while to pick up, the reader is rewarded with gritty thrills. Hannah and Tyler are great characters and Thompson more than succeeds in making them likeable and loveable. When reading you feel as though you are inside their heads and even develop an understanding for the way they think.

The Mafia connections add substance to the plot and ensure that the story is not far-fetched. You would find difficulty in not believing every word. Inevitably, the plot features a huge amount of violence but I implore you not to dismiss it based on this fact. The violence is not in any way glorified and makes a point rather than excites. It may be dark at times but I never had the feeling that it was unnecessary, it serves a greater purpose.

I have taken on-board a huge amount from this novel. Whether this was Thompson’s intention or not I have no idea but I would urge you to read it and see what you bring away. The novel is above all fresh, an emotional tale that still manages to keep up the excitement of a thriller.

ONE SENTENCE: An emotional rollercoaster ride with loads of bite and a gritty plot.

No comments:

Post a Comment